March 7, 2013

FREE Spice Storage

We have a ton of baby food jars left over from Maddy's food lying around the house here. And instead of pitching them (well, recycling really), I wanted to make use of them for our spice storage. This way, the storage will be uniform and I can eventually make cute labels for them. The cupboards were a complete disaster to say the least. We always struggled to find the spices we needed, especially the tiny ones that seemed to float to the back abyss of the cupboard.


Forgive the chipboard, brown (ugliness). Straight out of the 70's those are. I had $0.00 for my budget this time around so it was time to rummage the house for left over boxes. I found two cereal boxes that we were throwing away and since they were the same width, it was decided that these would make a great riser for our cupboards.  Risers at stores and online can be found for inexpensive prices, but use what'cha got, right?


I measured 4" for the first height, 3" for the second and 1" for the third and shortest "step" (Oops Alert: I totally measured that last step one inch too short) . Cutting the boxes hot dog style, they ended up pretty straight. It helped me to just measure and draw a line around the entire box. I pasted the cut-outs together with Mod Podge and just to cover that cereal box beauty, I slapped some craft paint on them. The paint and Mod Podge also did a nice job of hardening the cardboard for better stability.


Eventually, I plan to convert all my spices into baby food jars or another variety of small glass jar with a more permanent label attached to them. I will feel much more motivated when I can put these beauties in their rightful place in our new home! But, for now, this is a great storage solution and it's a heck of alot better than what it was before.



Ah...much better!






No comments:

Post a Comment